Univ. Prof. Dr. Martin Bichler
Martin Bichler is head of this research unit and a full professor at the Department of Computer Science of the Technical University of Munich (TUM). He is also affiliated with the TUM School of Management. Martin received his MSc degree from the Technical University of Vienna, and his Ph. D. as well as his Habilitation from the Vienna University of Economics and Business. He was a research fellow at UC Berkeley, and a research staff member at the IBM T. J. Watson Research Center, Yorktown Heights, New York. Later, he was a visiting scholar at the University of Cambridge, at HP Labs Palo Alto, at the Department of Economics at Yale University, and at the Department of Economics at Stanford University.
Martin received the EURO Excellence in Practice Award, the INFORMS Daniel H. Wagner prize (runner-up), the HP Labs eAward, the IBM Faculty Award, the INFORMS ISS Design Science Award (twice), and he won the Siemens SCM Olympics. He was awarded a DFG Koselleck project by the German National Science Foundation, the first one in the economic sciences. In 2020 Martin was ranked in the top 0.5% out of 3346 scholars in the management sciences in Europe (5-year ranking) and in the top 1% in the lifetime ranking by the Wirtschaftswoche magazin. In 2018 Martin was ranked 3rd in publications overall in the 5-year ranking by the Wirtschaftswoche in the same ranking.
Martin is president of the INFORMS Section on Auctions and Market Design, past editor-in-chief of the BISE journal, and a fellow of the Agora Group on Market Design at the University of New South Wales, Australia. He is also a principal investigator of the DFG-funded research training group AdONE, which is at the intersection of Computer Science, Management Science, and Mathematics. Currently, he was the Vice Dean at the Department of Computer Science of the TUM between 2019-2022, is currently on the School Council of the School of Computation, Information, and Technology, and is Advisory Board member of the TUM Institute for Advanced Study.
Selected Academic Activities
- VICE DEAN, Department of Informatics, Tech. University of Munich (2019-2022)
- BOARD MEMBER, Auction and Market Design Section, INFORMS (President 2020-2022, BM 2022-)
- MANAGEMENT BOARD, DFG Research Training Group AdONE (2017-now)
- SENIOR EDITOR, INFORMS Information Systems Research (AE 2017-2022, SE 2023-)
- EDITOR IN CHIEF, Business and Information Systems Engineering, Springer (2012-2019)
- ASSOCIATE EDITOR, ACM Transactions on Economics and Computation (2021-2024)
- ASSOCIATE EDITOR, INFORMS Journal on Computing (2019-2022)
- ASSOCIATE EDITOR, Naval Research Logistics (2019-2022)
- EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE of the IEEE Technical Committee on Business Informatics (2017-2020)
- FELLOW of the Agora Market Design Center, UNSW, Australia
- ADVISORY COUNCIL of the TUM Institute for Advanced Study
- MEMBER, ENTSO-e Bidding Zone Review Consultative Group (2022-2023)
- MEMBER, School Council of the School of Computation, Information, and Technology
Martin Bichler is responsible for the Master program in Information Systems at TU München. He is also a board member of the ENB MSc Finance and Information Management. Martin received the TeachInf Award of the student union of the Department of Informatics five times for different courses. He regularly teaches the following courses:
- Operations Research (6 ECTS)
- Business Analytics and Machine Learning (5 ECTS)
- Auction Theory and Market Design (5 ECTS)