Selected Publications (past 5 years)
Martin published 85 journal papers, 20 book chapters, and more than 100 conference or workshop articles. In the past 10 years 15 of these papers appeared in premier journals listed by the Financial Times 50 list, in addition to journals in computer science and the sciences (Nature, PNAS). Below is a selection of 10 journal papers from the past 5 years.
- E. Baldwin, M. Bichler, M. Fichtl, and P. Klemperer. Walrasian equilibria in the strong-substitutes product-mix auction. Mathematical Programming, 191(2), 2022. (#1 journal in mathematical optimization)
- M. Bichler, P. Gritzmann, P. Karaenke, and M. Ritter. On airport time slot auctions: A market design complying with the IATA scheduling guidelines. Transportation Science, August 2022. (#1 journal in transportation and logistics)
- M. Bichler, P. Milgrom, and G. Schwarz. Taming the communication and computation complexity of combinatorial auctions: The FUEL bid language. Management Science, 68(3), 2022. (#1 journal in management science)
- M. Bichler, M. Fichtl, S. Heidekrüger, N. Kohring, and P. Sutterer. Learning equilibria in symmetric auction games using artificial neural networks. Nature Machine Intelligence, 3:687–695, August 2021. (leading journal in machine learning)
- M. Bichler and S. Waldherr. Core-pricing in combinatorial exchanges with financially constrained buyers: Computational hardness and algorithmic solutions. Operations Research, 69, 2021. (#1 journal in operations research)
- M. Bichler, T. Morrill, and S. Waldherr. How to assign scarce resources without money: Designing information systems that are efficient, truthful, and (pretty) fair. INFORMS Information Systems Research, 32(2):335–355, 2020. (leading information systems journal)
- P. Karaenke, M. Bichler, and S. Minner. Coordination is hard: Electronic auction mechanisms for increased efficiency in transportation logistics. Management Science, 65(12):5449–5956, 2019. (#1 journal in management science)
- M. Bichler, V. Fux, and J. Goeree. Designing combinatorial exchanges for the reallocation of resource rights. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS), 116(3):786–791, 2018. (leading science journal)
- M. Bichler, V. Fux, and J. Goeree. A matter of equality: Linear pricing in combinatorial exchanges. INFORMS Information Systems Research, 29(4):1024–1043, 2018. (leading information systems journal).
List of key journals, where our research appeared: Nature (Machine Intelligence), Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS), Operations Research, Management Science, INFORMS ISR, Production and Operations Management (POM), Mathematical Programming, Transportation Science, Games and Economic Behavior, INFORMS Journal on Computing, ACM TEAC, IEEE TCC, IEEE TSC, International Journal of Industrial Organization, Energy Economics, Experimental Economics, EJOR, Transportation Research: Part B, Naval Research Logistics, Economics Letters, OR Letters, Telecom Policy, IEEE Computer, CACM, Computer Networks, Distributed and Parallel Databases, and SIGMOD Records.
Martin has contributed to different areas in computer science, operations research, and information systems. In particular he is interested in market design and optimization, econometrics, and data analysis. In recent research Martin's group developed
a bilevel programming method to compute core-stable outcomes on exchanges where buyers have budget constraints.
a method to learn Bayes Nash equilibria in auction games based on Neural Networks and Monte Carlo sampling.
a game-theoretical model showing that auctions might not exhibit efficient equilibria if we assume principal-agent relationships within bidding firms.
strategies to game the combinatorial clock auction, which is widely used in spectrum sales by regulators.
randomized approximation mechanisms which are truthful in expectation and applications in logictics.
integer programming techniques for very high-dimensional bin-packing problems (as in cloud computing).
algorithms to compute prices on non-convex markets (relevant to energy-markets, procurement, or environmental markets).
Recent Press Coverage
- Op-ed on electricity market design and German price zones in the Tagesspiegel (June 2, 2023).
- TUM press release on our equlibrium learning method published in Nature Machine Intelligence (September 10, 2021). See also an article on techexplore .
- Commentary on the sale of airport time slots together with Cramton, Gritzmann, and Ockenfels in the FAZ (December 20, 2020) and in VoxEU (January 15, 2021).
- Commentary on the German spectrum auction in 2019 in Wirtschaftswoche (April 18, 2019).
Research Transfer and Policy Advice
He has been involved in the development of several software packages, which have been or are being used in industry practice. He has also been a consultant to policy makers and industry in different areas in the recent years:
Game-theoretical consulting on spectrum auctions for bidders and regulators in almost a dozen auctions in countries such as Australia, Austria, Canada, the Czech Republic, and Germany. Professor Bichler's provided policy advice to the Austrian, the Australian, and the Canadian regulator, and his academic work was cited by the US Federal Communications Commission. He was co-editing the Handbook of Spectrum Auction Design with Cambridge University Press. Several publications were cited in the scientific background to the Nobel Prize 2020 to Milgrom and Wilson. The collaboration with Paul Milgrom was mentioned in his award speech for the Nobel prize 2020.
Design of environmental markets: Implementation of a large scale combinatorial exchange for the trading of catch shares in Australia in 2017 (see article in PNAS). The project won the EURO Excellence in Practice Award 2018 and the ISS Design Science Award.
Design of procurement auctions with industry partners such for direct and indirect materials. One of his projects won the Siemens SCM Olympics. A spin-off was providing services to procurement organizations for 10 years before it was sold.
Development of prediction and bidding agents for display ad auctions with a large German software vendor.
Development of (patented) algorithms and tools for server consolidation and resource allocation in virtualized data centers with a European IT service provider. Implementation of control algorithms for virtualized data centers of a multi-national Asian IT service provider.
Earlier contributions to open-source software projects such as the Prova rule engine or the Permoto performance modeling tool.
Recent Community Service
- AREA CHAIR, ACM Economics and Computation, London, UK, 2023.
- CLUSTER CHAIR, IFORS Meeting, Santiago, Chile, 2023.
- AREA CHAIR, ACM Economics and Computation, Boulder, Colorado, USA, 2022.
- TRACK CO-CHAIR, Wirtschaftsinformatik 22, Nuernberg, Germany, 2022, 2023.
- WORKSHOP CO-CHAIR, INFORMS Market Design Workshop, Budapest, Hungary, 2021.
- CLUSTER CHAIR, INFORMS Annual Meeting, Washington DC, USA, 2020, 2021.
- ASSOCIATE EDITOR, International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS), India, 2020.
- SENIOR PROGRAM COMMITTEE MEMBER, ACM Conference on Economics and Computation, Phoenix, USA, 2019.
- CO-CHAIR, Workshop on Information Technology and Systems, Munich, 2019.
- CO-CHAIR, Doctoral Consortium, International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS), Munich, Germany, 2019.
- PC MEMBER, ACM Conference on Economics and Computation, Ithaca, NY, 2018.
- FACULTY MENTOR, Doctoral Consortium, International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS), San Francisclo, USA, 2018.
- TRACK CHAIR, International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS), Seoul, Korea, 2017.
- SENIOR PROGRAM COMMITTEE MEMBER, ACM Conference on Economics and Computation, Netherlands, 2016.
- STREAM CHAIR, International Conference on Operations Research, Aachen, Germany, 2014.
- TRACK CHAIR, International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS), Milan, Italy, 2013.
- FACULTY MENTOR, Doctoral Consortium, International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS), Milan, Italy, 2013.
- PROGRAM COMMITTEE CHAIR, International Conference on Electronic Commerce (ICEC), Singapore, 2012.
- CLUSTER CHAIR, for the Auction Cluster of the INFORMS Annual Meeting, Charlotte, NC, USA, 2011.