Project Management and Software Development for Medical Applications
Recognition of credits for BMC students
This practical course is mandatory for all master's students of the Biomedical Computing program. The PMSD course counts towards the compulsory Clinical Internship of the curriculum for the aforementioned students.
The Lab Course is intended to teach basic concepts of the software project management and development for medical and intra-operative applications. You will be confronted with a brief introduction to the software project management concepts such as requirement analysis, software design, coding guidelines and unified modeling language (UML). Furthermore, you will be exposed to basic concepts of the C++ programming language, graphical user interface programming using Qt and OpenGL. Last but not least topics like version control, deployment and test will be explored. You will be assigned a medical software project to apply the mentioned concepts in a real-life scenario.
Prerequisites and Registration
This course requires basic knowledge of C++ or similar OO programming language. The concepts of OO programming and other concepts as conducted in the Introduction to Computer Science lecture are assumed.
Registration through the TUM Matching System is mandatory. Your chances to be assigned to the course increase if you give the course a higher rank in your choices. If you already have a potential project, notify the course tutors via e-mail as soon as possible. This increases your chances to be assigned to the course, but you have to register through the matching system in any case. For further details about how the matching system works and its schedule please check its documentation.
In this lab course, students work on clinical software projects and find solutions for problems in the field of medical applications. The student's workload should be around 10-14 hours per week for a period of 3 - 4 months on the assigned project (10 ECTS course).
Each project is expected to have one contact person (supervisor) who should be available for regular updates or if the student needs any help. In addition, the supervisors are kindly invited to participate in the student presentations (Requirements, Intermediate, Final) taking place at the CAMP chair. Each project supervisor will decide on 50% of the grade based on the student’s performance in the project. The other 50% will be decided upon by tutors, based on the quality of project management and presentation skills of the student.
The project proposal should give a short introduction into the context and describe the most important aspects and expected outcome of the project. Furthermore it should clearly state the required (and optional) skills (programming language, experience with certain libraries etc.).
If you have a suitable project, preferably with a clinical or industrial partner, you are kindly invited to fill out the project proposal template and send it to the course tutors. The deadline for proposal submission is beginning of the lecture period for each semester.
Practical course - Project Management and Software Development for Medical Applications (IN2106, IN4136)
|Language of instruction||English|
|Position within curricula||See TUMonline|
- 25.07.2022 09:00-10:00 Online: Videokonferenz / Zoom etc., Topic: PMSD WS22/23 - Preliminary meeting Time: Jul 25, 2022 09:00 AM Amsterdam, Berlin, Rome, Stockholm, Vienna Link: https://tum-conf.zoom.us/j/68361116501 Meeting ID: 683 6111 6501 Passcode: 264835
- 18.10.2022 09:00-12:00 Online: Videokonferenz / Zoom etc., Link: https://tum-conf.zoom.us/j/64395147115 Meeting ID: 643 9514 7115 Passcode: PMSDWS22
- 07.11.2022 09:00-12:00 Online: Videokonferenz / Zoom etc., Link: https://tum-conf.zoom.us/j/64593931354 Meeting ID: 645 9393 1354 Passcode: PMSDWS22
- 08.11.2022 10:00-12:00 Online: Videokonferenz / Zoom etc., Link: https://tum-conf.zoom.us/j/64573607596 Meeting ID: 645 7360 7596 Passcode: PMSDWS22
- 12.12.2022 09:00-12:00 Online: Videokonferenz / Zoom etc., Link: https://tum-conf.zoom.us/j/62352892272 Meeting ID: 623 5289 2272 Passcode: PMSDWS22
- 13.12.2022 09:00-12:00 Online: Videokonferenz / Zoom etc., Link: https://tum-conf.zoom.us/j/62290444123 Meeting ID: 622 9044 4123 Passcode: PMSDWS22
Note: Please join our preliminary meeting: Topic: PMSD WS22/23 - Preliminary meeting Time: Jul 25, 2022 09:00 AM Amsterdam, Berlin, Rome, Stockholm, Vienna Link: https://tum-conf.zoom.us/j/68361116501 Meeting ID: 683 6111 6501 Passcode: 264835